I’ve spent a lot of time within the past few weeks just bunkering down and working through the large (to me) pile of surveys I distributed by hand and writing the actual essay. That process went relatively well, though I could have done more forms of analysis on that data. Nevertheless, I became very acquainted with Excel and Spreadsheets. Writing the essay itself was relatively straightforward since I already had a basic outline planned. I didn’t expect I’d spend so much time explaining background information. Also, my “results” and “analysis” portions ended up blending together into one section because they were so interlinked. The same happened to my conclusion and discussion. Because I would have just been redundant trying to separate them, I just let my thoughts flow onto the paper.
I’ve drafted an outline for my presentation, so all that’s necessary is to practice it. Hopefully that all goes well.
As a last note, having so much leisure time is potentially detrimental to both time management and work ethic. Just saying.
Since I’m making this project as *exciting* as possible for myself, I had planned from the beginning (with my current research topic) to distribute a street survey. Since I had mostly finalized my survey by last Wednesday, on Thursday, I decided to head out into the world.
I printed out a good two hundred surveys in preparation. When heading to the university campus, I had the insight to buy a couple of clipboards. Clipboards are very important. I wouldn’t have been able to do this without them. The next issue is deciding where to actually distribute the survey. After aimlessly wandering around campus, I situated myself at by the Student Union and asked those passing by if they would participate in my survey. The key thing to understand is that people walk to get to places, so a lot of the people rejecting my survey said that they had class or really wanted to get their food. I was mostly dreading rejection with this method, but once a hundred or so people say no to your face, you get used to it. For every survey taken, five or six people declined. I went through almost half of the stack that one day. I would have gone again, but the weather was pretty rainy over the weekend, so I may head back this week. I’m working on recording all of that data on a spreadsheet now.
I was a bit more productive that I thought I would be.
During this first week, I came to many realizations. First is that I actually wasn’t sure of what specifically I was going to research. I know my topic (obviously), but the question is how specific questions in my survey could explore it. This requires reading. A lot. In that process, I’ve uncovered something called the Communication-Human Information Processing (C-HIP) model that theorizes interaction, comprehension, and resulting behavior concerning warnings. This much more cleanly reflects my own thoughts on the scope of the user side of the user-smartphone interface, which I originally categorized as belief and perceptions, practices, and selection criteria of apps. Yay me.
Contemplating my expected survey image, I’ve noticed that a regular sheet of paper has far too little space on it to fit everything I imagined. I had originally planned on asking surveyees specific security requirement questions about warning toggles, for example, but that can be turned into another research paper all together. Instead, I’ll be much more explicit. Surveys are inherently flawed after all. There’s only so much I can do. Though it may have been culled, I can add this into my “Next Steps” section of my conclusion
for word count.
Somehow, I also managed to formulate a rough draft of my survey already. All that’s needed now is to polish it and print out a ton of copies.
Plans For This Week:
- Finalize the survey.
- Get it approved by Dr. Rosinbum.
- (possibly) Begin distributing by the end of the week.
- If time allows, begin drafting parts of the paper itself.
This is my name: Luann Zerefa
This is my working title: “Tech Savvy: Security Awareness and Behavior of Smartphone Users”
Simply speaking, smartphone users are increasingly downloading and installing applications from various third-parties from official app repositories. However, these applications are poorly regulated for illicit behaviors. Users are authorize access to sensitive information to applications. The question now is whether how effectively users are informed of potential risks via current security systems.
Over the next few months, I will work to answer this question by conducting a survey to university students.